Saturday, July 28, 2012

Journal 4

Ferguson, H. (June/July, 2010). Join the flock!. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Join_the_Flock.aspx

Summary:
Hadley Ferguson has written a very helpful step by step guide to the use of Twitter as a Personal Learning Network (PLN). She outlined the procedures to follow in order to become a "Twitter addict", one who benefits from contributing to and learning from other Twitter users. She also discloses what kind of time commitment Twitter requires. As a complete stranger to Twitter and newbie to education I find this simple user's guide very informative. Mrs. Ferguson has made a compelling argument for the usefulness and simplicity of twitter. I will be sure to bookmark this article with my diigo account, share it on Twitter with appropriate hash tags, and refer back to it while establishing my PLN.

Question 1: How does a new teacher persuade a more experienced teacher to join Twitter?
As a new teacher I would approach this subject very delicately. When appropriate, I would bring up an example of a valuable resource I had found through Twitter. If the experienced teacher showed interest I would explain the concept of a PLN a little further and offer to send him or her a link to this article. If the experienced teacher seemed skeptical, I would share that my initial reaction to Twitter was also skepticism. I would then go on to explain its utility in professional advancement. 

McClintock Miller, S. (June/July, 2010). Enhance your twitter experience. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx

Summary:
This second article is more appropriate for users of Twitter who familiar with the program but not yet aware of all the intricacies. The author offers a dictionary of Twitter terminology and introduces readers to TweetDeck, Hootsuite, and Hootlet, all of which are social media organizers. I appreciate the author's tips on etiquette and efficient use of Twitter. She succinctly explained what percentage of one's time spent on Twitter should be allocated to what activity.

Question 1: I would like to know how much time the author, Ms. Miller, dedicates to Twitter?
I understand that Ms. Miller utilizes tools so her time on Twitter is spent efficiently. I am interested in scheduling Twitter into my life but at this point I am not sure how much time to allot myself for the beginning steps of the process. I have gathered from this article that experienced users of Twitter look forward to their time on Twitter and do not worry themselves about finding time for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment