Monday, July 9, 2012

Journal 2- Technology Self Assessment 2.0

At the School 2.0 website I used the reflection tool to self-assess my current level of skill in technology integration. I then selected a video from the suggested resources for NETS 1 (Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity)and reflected on what I learned from the video.


Robinson, K. (2006). Ken robinson says schools kill creativity [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

Summary:
I chose the NETS-T Standard #1: Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. I chose to watch the Creativity and Schools video hosted by Sir Ken Robinson because I was interested to learn how he would assert that schools kill creativity. I learned that Mr. Robinson believes that children are naturally creative and that by adulthood many have lost this creativity. The reason it is lost is that schools attempt to conform students to the college professor model of thinking and being, thus killing students' natural creativity.  Mr. Robinson indirectly suggests that students be encouraged to pursue their education in the format of their learning style. I have been introduced to the concept of the different learning styles through my credential prerequisite courses but before this video I had not thought about how teaching to only two learning styles, Linguistic and Mathematical-Logical, could exclude and ostracize creativity. I think it is important to educate students about different learning styles, assist them in finding their learning style(s), and encourage them to find a way to study utilizing their strengths.
 
Question 1:
As a teacher how would I accommodate kinesthetic learners in a traditional classroom?
I would allow students who are more comfortable standing at their desk to stand or I would encourage them to bring in yoga balls as a substitute for their seats. I would place these students toward the back of the room so that they would be less distracting to other students.

Question 2:
As a teacher how would I accommodate musical learners in a traditional classroom?
I would allow students who are interested in bringing music into class to do so as long as they brought headphones and limited their listening time to individual work activities.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad we are taking this class together! Looking forward to our teaching program. Can't wait til student teaching!

    ReplyDelete